I did a little experimental thread over on my Twitter stream. I wanted to encourage a couple of things – namely audience interaction and I wanted to provide them an actual reason to share the thread.

Simply put: I provided a series of polls for folks to vote on to determine how I constructed a monster.

Here’s a link to the thread in case you’re curious.

The results to the first poll (bipedal or quadrapedal) was:

Quadruped, it is!

The second poll was what kind of terrain the creature spends its time in. The audience chose subterranean so I added digging claws and narrowed the torso to make the creature more wedge shaped.

Subterranean Features

The third poll was how many heads the creature has. Crowd said 2.

Two Heads Are Better Than One?

And the fourth and final poll was what kind of tail to give it (or to give it none). The crowd picked a long straight tail with a club end.

Final Sketch!

After the final poll, I finished the tail and posted it and then felt like I should go ahead and paint it. Since I was already in an experimental mode, I took the sketch, blurred it a bit, and then mixed the sketch lines in with the digital paint layers. Here are the final results.

The Finished Beastie!

Here’s the process video if you enjoy that.

Process Video for the first Let’s Make A Monster

I really need to get back to the work for my Patreon page, but this was an excellent little experiment and I plan to do it again in the near future.

This is the character I’m currently working on for Patreon:

(This post was also put up over on my One Post Wonder blog. Cross posted here for availability to everyone.)